Jeff and I joined some friends to hike He Devil in the Seven Devil mountain range--Gary and Jennifer Ashby, Miquelle and Laron Crosland, and Cindy Birch. We left town Friday afternoon and drove to Windy Saddle where we camped overnight and then got up early the next morning to make the hike. We started hiking at 8:00 am Saturday morning and got back to camp at 7:00 pm that night. Then we drove to McCall for some dinner and got home close to midnight. It was such a long day!We hiked a round trip of 8 miles, but it all felt more physically taxing than running a marathon. It was so hard! I knew it would be hard, but I guess I've never climbed a mountain before! I don't think I've ever been so exhausted in my life. We spent most of our time hiking over boulders, big rocks, scree, and any other kind of rock you can imagine. By the time we got done, I would have been happy to never see another rock again.
My friend, Cindy, was the instigator of this trip. She was a Young Women leader in 2010 when Tessa hiked He Devil with Gary Ashby leading their group. Tessa made it to the summit, but Cindy turned back with another leader who was injured and wasn't able to summit the mountain. She wanted to make it back and finish the task. And this year she turned 54, the same age that her mother died. So she had a real goal, and she came back and did it. And we all did it with her! Even though it was one of the hardest physical things I've ever done, I am glad I can look back and know that I conquered He Devil. :)
My friend, Cindy, was the instigator of this trip. She was a Young Women leader in 2010 when Tessa hiked He Devil with Gary Ashby leading their group. Tessa made it to the summit, but Cindy turned back with another leader who was injured and wasn't able to summit the mountain. She wanted to make it back and finish the task. And this year she turned 54, the same age that her mother died. So she had a real goal, and she came back and did it. And we all did it with her! Even though it was one of the hardest physical things I've ever done, I am glad I can look back and know that I conquered He Devil. :)
































Comments
Post a Comment