Thanksgiving Time

Due to Jeff's mom's recent diagnosis of lymphoma and subsequent treatments (which went very well), we hosted Thanksgiving this year. The Bean family let us know that if we were up for it, they'd love to buck tradition and have Jeff's pizza instead. When I asked Seth and Aubrey about the possible menu change, they both said that "turkey is overrated," so we had a very unconventional Thanksgiving day feast. I sent everyone a Google form to plan for topping preferences, and Jeff ended up baking 13 pizzas. Bruce, Judy, and Jaylyn brought some sweet potatoes and pumpkin pies, and Debbi brought a salad and apple crisp, so there was a little flavor of the traditional Thanksgiving. Chad and Hannah also joined us. Overall, we had tons of food and a very good time being together, even without the turkey. :)

Keaton took our traditional "selfie" group photo

Jim, Debbi, Mom, Dad, Jaylyn

Chad, Hannah, Keaton, Jarae, Seth, Aubrey

I found this turkey packed away in our box of fall decorations. The kids made
this in 2006 when we were doing Thanksgiving by ourselves. We sent the
feathers to family members to decorate and write what they were thankful
for. It was fun to see what everyone was grateful for 18 years ago. Everyone
at our feast this year had a feather on the tree. I'm glad I saved it!

No turkey this year, but we had everyone write what they were grateful for on a leaf.

Jeff grew another giant pumpkin this year. He guessed it weighed about 200 lbs.

The whole pumpkin plant took up a lot of space in our back yard.

Seth hacked up the pumpkin with a machete when it was time for the compost pile.


Comments